The first documentary evidence of a Church in Compton is found in the Doomsday Survey of 1086. The present church is the outcome of a sensitive restoration in the 1850’s but the late 12th century North arcade and chancel arch are still visible. The church – like all the churches in the Octagon – is normally open during daylight hours.
The church, which is light and airy, can hold some 160 in comfort and more with enthusiasm. The graveyard, still with space, is maintained as a place for quiet contemplation in a country setting.
The organ by H Willis & Son was installed in 1970. The link between Church and Compton and UpMarden C of E school is strong, and the church is normally regularly used by the school for assemblies, services and festivals.
More information about the history and architecture of this church can be found on the Sussex Parish Churches website