North Marden is a small village of 7 houses, with the small church being the only non-residential building.  The village is built on the thin layer of clay covering the downland chalk, the dominant building material being flint, which would have been gathered from the surface of the surrounding fields.  The church dates from the early 12th century, without electricity and nor running water, and with an interior little changed from when it was built, except for the addition at some stage of wooden pews and of windows on North, South and West walls, to alleviate what would have been impenetrable gloom scarcely pierced by the light from the original three small lancet windows on the apsidal East end and the one lancet high in the gable of the West end.   There are signs of the foundations of a small cluster of housing just to the West of the churchyard, hinting at the abandonment of the village at some point, possibly as a result of the black death or some other natural calamity or agrarian upheaval.  The oldest existing residential house in the village is the Georgian Old Farmhouse, built about 1820, with two associated flint barn complexes which have now both been converted to make 3 houses.  The remaining 3 houses were built in the 20th Century.  The main Petersfield to Chichester road used to pass through the village, but the road was widened and improved in the 20th  Century and now passes close to the North side of the village, the old, narrow, road reverting to the status of a lane carrying traffic to East Marden and onwards to Stoughton and Walderton.

Sign up to the Octagon Parish Community Grapevine

Send and receive news, notifications and information direct to your in-box. The grapevine provides members of our community with a simple way to stay in touch.

Find out how