There is a strong social network through the Forestside community, and a village hall which hosts monthly events organised by the Forestside and Stansted Social Club. These are open to all living in the Octagon area and are well supported especially the harvest Suppers and St George's Day celebrations etc. The Social Club also produces a quarterly newsletter which is distributed to all houses in the village and to others in the area who have requested a copy.
The church was built in 1852 by Charles Dixon , A wealthy Victorian philanthropise and owner of nearby Stansted House. The East window has an unusual Jesse Tree design, and the interior furnishings have changed little since Victorian times.
Sign up to the Octagon Parish Community Grapevine
Send and receive news, notifications and information direct to your in-box. The grapevine provides members of our community with a simple way to stay in touch.
The Octagon Parish is made up of eight villages with churches: Stansted, Racton, Stoughton, East Marden, North Marden, Up Marden, Compton and Forestside and two villages without churches: West Marden and Walderton. Blessed with wonderful walks and fine views down to the south coast, its small ancient downland churches are noted for their spiritual peace and tranquillity, some dating back to Saxon times. There are two stately homes in the area: Stansted House and Uppark.