Image description

The Octagon Parish

Image description

The Electoral Roll

What is the Church Electoral Roll?


In the Church of England, it is a parish's register of electors; it is the list of those qualified to vote at the annual Parochial Church Meeting (APCM) where the elections take place for the Parochial Church Council (The PCC), and the parish's representatives on the Deanery Synod.

The Electoral Roll is also our membership list, the number we can count upon as committed members of the Octagon Parish.  The Electoral Roll Officer for the Octagon Parish is the Parish Administrator.


The more formal information: The Church Electoral Roll must be accurately kept. To achieve accuracy the roll is revised annually and the new Roll is reported at the APCM. The Roll is used to determine eligibility for attendance and participation at the annual parochial church meeting and for election to the parochial church council. It is also used to determine eligibility for election to the deanery, diocesan and general synods. In addition it is used for the calculation of the number of representatives who may be elected to each of these synods in the following year.

Every sixth year, instead of a revision, a completely new Roll has to be prepared.
In 2025 it will be necessary to prepare a new roll.


Why do we want you to complete a form?


1. Being a member of the electoral roll gives you the opportunity to have your say. This will include giving you a vote at the APCM. (You are not on the electoral roll unless you complete a form).


2. It allows us to maintain our records accurately.


3. The number of people on the roll makes no difference to the amount we pay the Diocese.


The answers to frequently asked questions:


1. Who is the Electoral Roll for?
The Church Electoral Roll is for lay persons only. Retired clergy are still clergy and therefore not eligible for inclusion.


2. Who can be included on the Roll?
To be entitled to be included on the Roll a lay person must be:

a. Baptised
b. over 16 years of age on or before the date of the annual parochial church meeting.
c. either - a member of the Church of England, or a Church in Communion with the Church of England, and resident in the parish. (There is no requirement to go to church regularly).
or - a member of the Church of England, or a Church in communion with the Church of England, and resident in another parish, but habitually attending worship in the chosen parish for at least 6 months prior to enrolment (unless prevented from doing so by illness or other sufficient cause).
or - a member of a Church subscribing to the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, such as Roman Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, URC, etc (in other words, most mainstream Christian churches but not, for example, Unitarians or Jehovah's Witnesses) and prepared to declare themselves a member of the Church of England, and having habitually attended worship in the chosen parish for at least 6 months prior to enrolment.
d. A person must also have signed an application form for enrolment.


3. Can I be on more than one Electoral Roll?
A person can be on the Roll of several parishes if fulfilling the above criteria, but can only use one parish for the purposes of membership of the PCC, elections to synods, etc. Your name can only appear on the Octagon electoral roll once, even if you worship at more than one church. 


4. When can I add my name to the Roll?
Names can be added to or removed from the Roll at any time during the course of the year, except between the completion of the Roll and the close of the APCM. All such changes must be reported to the next meeting of the PCC.


5. I live in the parish; won't I automatically be on the Roll?
Living in the parish will not automatically add you to the electoral roll.


6. I attend services in the Octagon regularly; won't I automatically be on the Roll?
Coming to church regularly or giving regularly will not automatically add you to the electoral roll.


7. How do I add my name to the Roll?
You can only be added to the electoral roll if you complete, sign and return your form to the electoral roll officer.


8. How can I remove my name from the Roll?
You can be removed from the electoral roll by writing to the electoral roll officer.


9. Where do I get an application form?

Right here!

Click here for the Electoral Roll
Enrolment Form

10. What will the Octagon do with my information?

Click here to see our
Data Protection policy

11. Can I just make a contribution to parish funds, with no other commitment?

Yes, just press the orange button.

All original material on this website is Copyright © 2014-2020 The Octagon PCC