Image description

The Octagon Parish

Image description

 St Mary Compton (PO18 9EZ)


The first documentary evidence of a Church in Compton is found in the Doomsday Survey of 1086. The present church is the outcome of a sensitive restoration in the 1850’s but the late 12th century North arcade and chancel arch are still visible. The church – like all the churches in the Octagon – is normally open during daylight hours.  The church, which is light and airy, can hold 134 in comfort and a maximum of 190. The graveyard, still with space, is maintained as a place for quiet contemplation in a country setting. There is a strong musical tradition in the parish. The organ by H Willis & Son was installed in 1970.  The link between the church and Compton and Up Marden C of E school is strong, and the church is frequently used by the school for assemblies, services and festivals.


The church is Grade II* listed. 


For more information about the architecture of this church
click here


Accessibility: Parking close to the church is limited. The church is reached by a gravel  path.


Click here to download
List of vicars of Compton and Up Marden